What is paid news? By Ashutosh Nandi, Cuttack, THE TIMES OF INDIA
Paid news or paid content are those articles in newspapers, magazines and the electronic media, which indicate favourable conditions for the institution that has paid for it. The news is much like an advertisement but without the ad tag. This kind of news has been considered a serious malpractice since it deceives the citizens, not letting them know that the news is, in fact, an advertisement. Secondly , the payment modes usually violate tax laws and election spending laws. More seriously, it has raised electoral concerns because the media has a direct influence on voters.
- 'Paid News': The Buried Report, The report they don't want you to read. Full text of the controversial report by the Press Council of India's subcommittee to probe the Paid News scandal, by Paranjoy Guha Thakurta, K. Sreenivas Reddy http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?266542
- Major papers launch online paid news service, Jennifer SaBa, NEW YORK — The Globe and Mail
- The Pointlessness of Paid News Applications --Extract: "Now, I have nothing against paid content, great content and journalism costs money to create and if it’s above average in quality, then I’m willing to pay.
However, The Telegraph believes that its iPad application is synonmous with a pre-internet era printed newspaper, and is charging accordingly $1.99 per day. Per day! Or $16.99 per month."
- Who Would Pay for Online News? - Centre d'études sur les médias
Who is in this business?
- CANOE -- Technology: Papers launch online paid news service
- Five Best News Aggregators
- 5 Best News Aggregators for getting the most out of your phone
- Comparing The New Aggregators: Flipboard, Pulse, Zite, Float And More - paidContent.org, By Amanda Natividad